If you are a senior and low-income person, then you may get an almost free tablet with some other benefits from the government initiative the Affordable Connectivity Program. It is a fact that our seniors in most cases do not have the opportunity to access the internet. So, the government and some non-profit organizations come forward to help the seniors by providing free laptops, tablets, etc.
In this article I cover everything about how a senior person can get an almost free tablet from a government initiative, the Affordable Connectivity Program, and also from some other nonprofit organizations.
Ways To Get Free Tablet For Seniors
Connected devices help seniors of our country in a lot of ways. A senior person starts a day with watching news or reading online newspapers, and uses the facilities of a connected device like a tablet all day long. To support these people , the government and some non-profit organizations arrange free tablets for seniors. Here I discuss initiatives taken for seniors by the government and non-profit organizations.
- Government Programs: The government initiative, the Affordable Connectivity Program provides a free tablet to low income seniors if they are eligible for the ACP Program and copay an amount more than $10 and less than $50 .
- Non-Profit Organizations: If you are a senior person, you can take advantage of getting a free or discounted tablet from non profit organizations. These organizations provide tablets for free of cost to help seniors to connect with their loved ones, get emergency support, telehealth facilities, and entertainment.
Best Providers That Offer Free Tablets For Seniors
You can get a free tablet and other ACP benefits from providers. Here is a list of some well-known providers.
- StandUp Wireless: Stand Up Wireless provides unlimited talk, text, and data, along with an almost free tablet for its customers, including seniors. Now, seniors can talk to their dear ones, send SMS, and also pass their days happily using the tablet and the internet.
- Q Link Wireless: Q Link Wireless gives priority to their senior clients. With the Affordable Connectivity Program, seniors can get an almost free tablet. They can use it to overcome loneliness. A tablet from Q Link can be a good companion for seniors.
- Easy Wireless: Easy Wireless offers free government tablets, along with free unlimited data , unlimited talk and text and hotspots . Seniors can also enjoy all these benefits of the ACP Program from Easy Wireless.
- Maxsip Telecom: Maxsip Telecom comes forward to help seniors get an almost free tablet from the Affordable Connectivity program. Seniors now get unlimited talktime, unlimited text facility and unlimited data, which is a vital need of seniors.
- Cintex Wireless: Cintex Wireless is a company that provides affordable wireless service to eligible low-income customers, including seniors under the affordable Connectivity Program. Seniors may get a tablet for only a copay of $10.01.They get a huge discount ( discount up to $ 100) on the price of the tablet.
- AirTalk Wireless: AirTalk Wireless offers a free tablet with free internet to low-income seniors of our country under the Affordable Connectivity Program. The program helps to bridge the digital divide that exists between younger and older Americans and also helps the seniors to access the internet, send and receive email, and make video calls to loved ones.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile offers an almost free tablet with other ACP benefits to the senior citizens of our country. Now seniors can gossip using the tablet, send and receive text messages and use the internet. They can enjoy online talk shows, movies, dramas, listen to music, and pass their days happily without any depression or loneliness.
- TruConnect Wireless: True Connect is a wireless service provider that not only provides cost-effective wireless services, but also committed to help elderly who may struggle with isolation and loneliness. TruConnect has taken initiative to offer a free tablet to senior citizens in the United States, which can help them stay connected with their loved ones, access essential services, and engage in online activities that can help them stay mentally active and entertained.
Non-Profit Organizations that Offer free tablet for Seniors
If you cannot afford a free tablet from the Affordable Connectivity program, then you can try for non profit organizations. Here is a list of some non profit organizations that provide free and discounted tablets .
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army has a significant role in the life of the seniors in our country. The Salvation Army arranges free tablets for seniors and helps them to become capable of communicating with their loved ones, and also with communities.
- Community Tech Network: Community Tech Network is a non-profit organization that provides digital literacy training for underserved communities, including seniors. They not only provide free tablets to seniors, but also taught them how to access the internet, use email, and participate in video calls, among other things.The tablets are pre-loaded with apps that are useful for seniors.There are apps for health and wellness, such as meditation and exercise videos, as well as apps for entertainment, such as games and puzzles.
- EveryoneOn: EveryoneOn is a non-profit organization that provides free tablets to seniors who are low-income and lack access to technology. Everyone On’s aim is to bridge the digital divide by providing internet access and technology to underserved communities, including seniors. The tablets provided by Everyone On are equipped with basic features such as internet access, email, and video chat capabilities. The tablets also come with a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for seniors to use it.
- Older Adult Technology Services(OATS): Older Adult Technology Services (OATS) is a non-profit organization that provides free technology training and devices to senior citizens. One of their initiatives is to distribute free tablets to low-income elderly individuals, which helps them to stay connected with their families, friends, and the world. Many seniors cannot afford to purchase technology devices or lack the knowledge to use them effectively. The organization’s goal is to bridge this gap and empower older adults to use technology to improve their quality of life.
- Tech Goes Home: Tech goes Home is a non profit organization that helps all citizens including seniors to learn the use of digital devices and also provide them with devices , mainly tablets. The mission of the organization is to ensure that citizens, including seniors, can access the internet and also use this opportunity to improve their quality of life.
- SmartRiverSide: Smart Riverside is a non profit organization that mainly focuses on the improvement of the seniors in our community. One of the most significant initiatives taken by SmartRiverside is the Senior Net program, which provides technology training to seniors. The program is designed to help seniors learn how to use computers, the internet, and other digital devices to stay connected with their family and friends and also access important information.
- Computers with causes: Computers with causes helps a senior by providing a refurbished computer or tablet. They collect new and used computers, tablets, and many electronic devices as donations and distribute them to needy individuals including seniors.
- PCs For People: PCs for People is a national nonprofit social enterprise working to provide refurbished and quality computers and internet to individuals, including seniors. They accept used and refurbished computers, tablets, etc. and distribute these to individuals who need these most and who cannot afford these by themselves.
- Senior Planet: Senior Planet is an institution formed by a collection of aged people that tries to reshape their lives by taking on challenges to help each other and change the world for the better- all while learning, growing, and having fun. Senior Planet’s main purpose is to enable older adults to come together and find ways to learn, work, create, exercise, and thrive in today’s digital age.
Eligibility Criteria For Getting Free Tablets For Seniors
Eligibility for Affordable Connectivity Program depends on two types of criteria.
- Eligibility based on Your Income: You are eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program, if your annual income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Eligibility based on your participation in certain government program: You are eligible for the ACP if you (or anyone in your household) participate in one of these programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit.
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA).
- Tribal Assistance Programs: If you live on qualifying Tribal lands, and your household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if you (or anyone in your household) participate in the following programs, then you are qualified for the ACP:
- Any of the federal assistance programs listed above.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance.
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard).
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF).
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).
If you have already received Lifeline benefits, then you are also eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
Required Documents To Get A Free Tablet For Seniors From The Affordable Connectivity Program
To apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program, you have to submit the following documents as proof of your eligibility.
- Government Assistance Program participation proof document: If you participate in qualifying programs, provide a letter or official document as proof.
- Approval letter.
- Benefit award letter.
- Benefit verification letter.
- Statement of benefits.
- Income Proof Document: If you qualify through your income, you will need to provide a document that shows that your annual income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- A Social Security statement of benefits.
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits.
- Prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return.
- Current income statement from your employer or a paycheck stub.
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits.
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits.
- Divorce decree, child support award, or a similar official document showing your income.
- Identity Verification Document: You have to prove your identity. To prove your identity please submit any of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate.
- Valid government, military, state or Tribal ID.
- U.S. Driver’s license.
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Government assistance program document.
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card.
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) document (does not need to include date of birth).
- Address verification Document: To prove that your address is valid, you have to submit any of the following documents: Document and Tips:
- When you apply online, you should use the online mapping tool in the application to help USAC find your address.
- If you like to send the application via mail, you can send a map that clearly shows your physical address or location, including latitude and longitude coordinates (coordinates are required if you live on Tribal lands).
- Utility bill.
- Driver’s license or other valid government, state, or Tribal ID.
- Most recent W-2 or tax return.
- Mortgage or lease statement.
Application Procedure To Get Free Tablets For Seniors
Application Steps for a free tablet From Government Program
You can apply for a free tablet as a seniors under the Affordable Connectivity Program via your preferred provider. You can choose any provider that is nearer to your location and that you prefer.
- First , you have to select your provider and go to their official website.
- On their webpage navigate to the apply section and enter your Zip Code and email address and start the application process.
- Then follow the onscreen instructions and complete the application process. You have to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Select a plan.
- Step 2: Select Device.
- Step 3: Verify and Confirm Order.
- Step 4: Eligibility.
- Step 5: Final Step.
Application for a free tablet for Seniors from non-profit organization
There are numerous non profit organizations. The application process for every organization may vary. Here I try to give you a general idea about how you can apply for a free tablet from non-profit organizations.
- First log in to your preferred non profit organization’s website.
- Then find out the application section.
- Then follow the instructions to apply for the program. The instructions may be different for different organizations. So, follow them as instructed.
Types Of Tablet That Seniors May Get For Free
- Google Chromebook
- Lenovo Tab 5
- LG G Pad 5 – 4GB LTE Tab
- New Microsoft Surface Go 2
- Samsung Galaxy Tab.
- Apple iPad.
- Alcatel Joy.
- KonnectONE Moxee Tablet.
- Sky Pad 8.
Some Reasons For Rejection Of Free Tablet Application for Seniors And Their Perfect Solution
Your application for a free tablet can be rejected for many reasons. Here I discuss some of them.
- Incomplete application: If your application is incomplete , then it can be rejected.
- Solution: Check that your application is complete and no information is missing.
- Ineligibility: Your application can be rejected for your ineligibility. Say you don’t have income based eligibility, but you highlight your income when applying for the program.
- Solution: Before applying, know everything about eligibility. If you are ineligible, then develop yourself, be eligible, and apply.
- Limited funding: The government funding can be limited and for that reason your application may have been rejected.
- Solution: There is no instant solution for this problem. You have to wait until the government fund is available.
- Lack of supportive documents: Your application can be rejected for lack of eligibility documents.
- Solution: Make sure you submit all the documents that are necessary.
- Duplicate application: Your application can be rejected if you submit more than one application from your household.
- Solution: Make sure to submit only one application from your household.
- Incorrect contact information: If your contact information, such as your email or phone number is incorrect then the authority cannot contact you and your application can be rejected.
- Solution: Double check the contact information and make sure that it is correct.
How To Find Free Tablets For Seniors
- Use search engines: You can use search engines , like google chrome to search for a tablet for seniors. Just search by writing ‘A free tablet for seniors near me’. This will provide numerous results and you may get the nearest organization that offers a free tablet for seniors.
- Social Media: Nowadays social media platforms are one of the places where people exchange their feelings and thoughts without any hesitation. In social media, like Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. there are lots of people who want to help a needy person by donating a laptop or tablet. You can take this opportunity.
- Check with your local senior center or community center: If you’re looking for a free tablet, then you may try checking your local senior center or community center. Many of these organizations offer technology assistance and may have tablets available for seniors.
- Ask family and friends: As a senior person, you have relatives, friends, and good wishers who are happy to manage a tablet for you. Moreover, there are many people around you who wish to contribute money or other things to someone who needs this. So, just inform them that you need a tablet, and the rest of it will be done by them.
Benefits Of Free Tablets For Seniors
Seniors are benefited in lots of ways by using a free tablet. Some of these benefits are described below:
- Improved communication: Tablet increases communication. It allows seniors to stay in touch with friends and family through video calls, messaging apps, and social media. It is used as a companion in times of loneliness and isolation.
- Increased independence: With a tablet, seniors can perform tasks such as online shopping, banking, and booking appointments without having to leave their home. Thus a tablet increases independence and helps seniors with mobility issues.
- Access to telehealth services: Many healthcare providers now offer telehealth services, allowing seniors to connect with doctors and nurses remotely. Tablets can serve as an easy way for seniors to access these services from the comfort of their own home.
- Access to e-books: Tablets provide access to a vast library of e-books that makes reading more accessible for seniors who may have difficulty getting to the library or holding physical books.
- Entertainment: Tablets can be used to stream movies, TV shows, and music, as well as play games. With a tablet, seniors can pass their time happily.
- Safety and security: Seniors vitally need emergency support at any time. To help them get these supports , tablets are equipped with safety and security features such as emergency contacts, GPS tracking, and fall detection. This can provide peace of mind for both seniors and their loved ones.
- Enhanced accessibility: Tablets can be equipped with accessibility features such as larger fonts, text-to-speech, and voice commands, making it easier for seniors with visual or physical impairments to use them.
- Assistance with everyday tasks: Virtual assistants such as Siri or Google Assistant, helps the seniors in doing their everyday tasks. They help to make phone calls or set reminders. This can be helpful for seniors with physical or cognitive impairments.
Tips For Seniors To Use Free Tablets Effectively
A senior person may have difficulty with vision, hearing, or any other physical limitations. So, as a senior, you have to know the tips to use your tablet properly. Here I share some tips that you can follow as a senior:
- You need to learn the basics of using a free tablet. Say, how to turn it on and off, how to use the touchscreen, etc.
- If you have difficulty seeing or using your fingers, then you can take help of accessibility features, such as screen magnification, voice control, and text-to-speech.
- You can participate in tablet groups or classes. These groups and classes can provide you with support and guidance as you learn to use your tablet.
- As a senior, you may drop the tablet if you have a problem using your fingers. So use a strong cover and also a good screen protector.
- As a senior, you have to know how you use the tablet in an emergency situation.
What features are required for free tablets for seniors?
There are several features that may be required for free tablets for seniors, depending on their needs and abilities. Here are some common features to consider: The tablet should have a large display, Easy–to-use interface, light weight, long battery life, accessibility features and internet connectivity.
It’s important to keep in mind that the needs and abilities of seniors can vary widely, so it may be helpful to consult with a healthcare provider or caregiver to determine which features would be most beneficial for a particular individual.
How long does it take to receive the free tablet for seniors?
After the approval of your application, the FCC will ship the tablet to your mailing address. After it is shipped, it generally takes 7 to 10 business days to reach you via mail. But this time frame can be changed. actually it depends on the availability of the tablets, the date when the tablet is shipped and also the state from where you receive the tablet.
Are there any hidden costs or fees associated with free tablets for seniors?
There is no hidden cost or fees associated with free tablets for seniors. But a senior has to copay $10.01 to get the tablet and it is pre announced.
Can I upgrade my free tablet as a Seniors?
Yes. You can upgrade your free tablet. But to get this service you have to pay an upgrade fee.
Can I choose the color or storage capacity of the free tablets?
No. You cannot choose the color or storage capacity of the free tablet.
Are there any warranty or support options for the free tablets for seniors?
Some providers give a 15 days replacement warranty if your free tablet comes with any manufacturing defects. If you need any assistance regarding warranty or support, please contact your provider’s customer care to know details.