The US government is giving away free 5G phones to eligible people as part of a larger effort to encourage the adoption of 5G technology. The goal is to get as many people using 5G as possible so that the country can reap the benefits of this new wireless standard.
To get free 5g government phones, you will have to apply for either the Affordable Connectivity Program, or the lifeline assistance program. If you are approved by these programs, you will get a free 5g phone with an allotment of talk, text and data for usage.
Ways To Get 5G Government Phones
Choose a carrier
Choose a carrier that best covers your area, allow sufficient free data for you, provide good customer service and has compatible network to your device.
Check Your Eligibility
You must qualify for ACP or Lifeline to get a free 5G government phone. Some phone companies may require you to participate in both programs. Check your eligibility below.
A person or household that meets the following criteria is eligible for The Lifeline Program. The eligibility is mainly determined by Two types of criteria.
- Income based criteria.
- Program based criteria.
Income based criteria
If a person or household’s annual income is equal to or less than 135% of the federal poverty guidelines, then the person or the household is eligible for getting benefits of the Lifeline Program.
Program based Criteria
If a person or a member of a household participates in one of the following Federal Government Assistance Programs, then the person or the household is eligible for getting Lifeline benefits.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.(SNAP).
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Federal Public Housing Assistance(FPHA).
- Veterans and survivors Pension Benefit.
If a person or household lives in Tribal Lands
If a person or household resides in a Tribal land , and participates in any one of the following programs, then the person or the household is eligible for getting the Lifeline benefits.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance.
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.(TANF).
- Tribal Head Start.
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.(FDPIR).
Eligibility requirements for Affordable Connectivity Program
Requirements to show that a person is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
The eligibility is determined in two ways. They are:
1. Eligibility based on annual income.
2. Eligibility based on participation in the Federal Government Assistance programs.
These two types of eligibility are described thoroughly here:
Eligibility based on Income
A person or household is considered to be eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if the person’s or the household’s annual income is equal to or less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
If a person or a household member participates in any of these Federal Government Assistance Programs, then the person or the household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA).
- Veterans Pension or Survivors Benefit.
- Free or Reduced-price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision Schools in the 2021-22, 2020-21, or 2019-20, School year.
- Achieve a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for WIC (Women, infants and children).
Eligibility through Tribal Assistance Program
If a person or household resides in the qualifying Tribal lands, and take part in one of the following programs then the person or the household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program.
- Any of the above-mentioned Federal Assistance Programs.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance.
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Head Start (Only Households meeting the income qualifying standard).
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).
A person or a household will be eligiblefor the ACP if he/she or the household already have Lifeline Benefits.
Lifeline is a benefit program of the US government and it is maintained by Federal Communications Commission (FCC).The Lifeline Program is designed to make communication service affordable for all the citizens of the US. If a person or household is eligible or a beneficiary of the lifeline program, then he/she or the household is automatically qualified for the ACP Program.
To know about your all requirements or eligibility to apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program, you may visit: “affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/show-you-qualify”.
Documents needed for Affordable Connectivity Program
Documents needed to prove that a person or household participated in the Federal Government’s Assistance Program:
- An approval or benefits letter for Medicaid or SNAP.
- Summary letter of survivor benefits.
- A screenshot of the online portal also does.
If a person’s child participated in an education related Program
- A document from the school or school district that shows a member of the household receives free or reduced-price School Lunch or School Breakfast for the current year or School year immediately preceding the application.
- A School Document that shows the student is enrolled in a CEP school for the relevant school year.
- A written letter from the student’s school or the Department of Education that the student has received a Pell Grant for the current award year.
Needed documents if a person or household qualify through income
The following documents are needed, if a person or household qualifies through income.
- Prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal Tax Return.
- Social Security Benefit Statement.
To be eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program, a person or household also has to submit proof of address, Proof of identity, a copy of Tribal ID, social security number, etc.
To Prove Address
To prove that a person’s address is valid, he/she has to submit the following documents:
1. A map that shows his/her physical address or location.
2. Official documents that show his/her name and address.
Examples of such documents:
- Government, Military, State, or Tribal ID.
- Driver’s License.
- Birth Certificate.
- Certificate of US citizenship or naturalization.
- Permanent Resident card or Green card.
- Government Assistance Program Document.
Proof of SSN4 or Tribal ID
If a person provides the last four digits of his/her social security number or full Tribal ID with his/her application, then he /she has to submit a copy of an official document that includes:
1. His/her First and Last Name.
2. The last 4 digits of his/her social security number or Full Tribal ID.
Example of documents:
- Social Security Card.
- Prior year’s Tax Return or w-2.
- Government Assistance Program Document.
- Taxpayer Identification Document.
- Unemployment/ Worker’s Compensation statement.
To prove a person’s identity
He/she has to submit the following documents to prove his/her identity:
- Government, Military, state, or Tribal ID.
- Driver’s License.
- Government Assistance Program Document.
- Birth Certificate.
- Social Security Card.
- Prior year’s Tax Return, or w-2.
A person also need to prove that he/she is alive
To prove that a person is alive, he/she has to provide a document that:
1. Confirms his/her First and Last name.
2. Shows life activity within the last three months.
Examples of such Documents:
- Government Assistance Program documents.
- Current Utility Bill.
- Current Income Statement such as a pay stub.
- Current mortgage or lease statement.
- Current Retirement/ Pension statement of benefits.
- Current unemployment statement of benefits.
Apply for the Lifeline or Affordable Connectivity Program
If you are eligible you can apply for the lifeline or Affordable Connectivity Program. If you apply for lifeline and approved by the authority, then you don’t need to apply for the ACP, you are automatically approved by the ACP.
There are three ways to apply for the Lifeline or affordable Connectivity Program: online, by mail, or through your current internet provider.
To apply online
For Lifeline Program
You can apply for the lifeline through FCC’s website. Go To: “lifelinesupport.org/get-started”. Create an account or Sign in to Lifeline program. Complete the application. Choose your company.
For Affordable Connectivity Program
You can apply for the ACP through FCC’s Website. Just log into: affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/. It will take you to ACP’s official website. From this website you can directly fill up the FCC’s national verifier form. Fill up the form. Now choose a provider that best suits you.
To apply by mail
You will need to print out the application and household worksheet from the FCC’s official website. Fill out both forms, then mail both forms along with proof documentation to:
For Lifeline Program:
Lifeline Support Center
P.O. Box 9100
Wilkes-Barre, PA 1877
For Affordable Connectivity Program:
ACP Support Center
PO Box 7081
London, KY 40742
You may print out the application form in English or Spanish Language. Read all the instructions carefully, and fill out the forms. You may print out the Household worksheet in English or Spanish Language.
To Apply By Provider
Choose a provider that suits you and supports the Lifeline/ACP. You can apply through the company’s application process online or via phone.
What to Do If My Application for 5G Government Phone Is Rejected
If your application for a 5G government phone is rejected, there are a few steps you can take:
- Find out the reason for rejection: Try to find out the exact reason for the rejection. Contact the authority to know the cause of the rejection. This will help you to understand if there are any errors or faults in your application and the total application process.
- Reapply: If the cause of rejection is due to errors or omission of any information, then reapply with the correction of all the errors. And also provide any information that was missed in the previous application.
- Appeal: If you believe that your application was unfairly rejected, you can appeal the decision. Contact the relevant department or agency to find out the appealing process and provide any additional information or documentation that may support your case.
- Seek assistance: If you are unsure about the reason for rejection or how to reapply or appeal, seek assistance from a government helpline or a customer service representative. They may be able to guide you through the process or provide you with additional information.
- Improve your qualifications: If the reason for rejection was due to not meeting the eligibility criteria, then try to improve your eligibility and apply again when you are fully eligible.
- Wait and try again later: If all else fails, you may need to wait for a certain period before reapplying. Government programs often have limited resources and may not be able to accommodate all eligible applicants immediately. Keep checking for updates on the program and reapply when the opportunity arises.
You have to remain calm and persistent, because obtaining a government phone may take some time and effort.
How To Activate Your Phone Under Your Provider
To use your phone, you first need to activate your SIM. The SIM activation process under various providers are slightly different and the overall process is somehow the same.
Here Activation under Cintex Wireless is given :(You can follow the process appropriate to your provider):
- Step: 1: Go to cintex Wireless’s website (cintexwireless.com)
- Step: 2: Select “My Service’’.
- Step:3: From the menu select the option: ‘Activate SIM card’.
- Step:4:Type your MDN and also the number of your SIM card.
- Step:5: Now provide necessary information that is asked to be provided.
- Step:6:Tap ‘Submit’ to finish the process.
- Step:7: After completing the process, make a test phone call to check that the activation is successful.
Best Providers of Free 5G Government Phones
There are several network service providers that offer 5G government phones.
1. Safelink Wireless
Safelink Wireless is a lifeline service provider that offers a free governmernt phone along with a monthly allotment of minutes, texts, and data for eligible low-income individuals and households. To get lifeline benefits from safelink an individual or household must meet certain criteria. They have to meet income requirements or participate in certain government assistance programs, such as medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Safelink also offers additional services such as international calling, data rollover, and the ability to purchase additional minutes, texts, and data. Customer can manage their safelink account, and also track their usage online via Safelink mobile app.
2. Access Wireless
Access Wireless is a provider of free government 5g phones and free phone plans for eligible low-income individuals. Access Wireless provides lifeline benefits to low-income individuals and households .
Access Wireless offers free cell phones and up to 750 minutes of voice calls, unlimited texting, and data, depending on the state and program selected. Eligibility for the program is based on income level or participation in government assistance programs such as Medicaid or SNAP. The company also offers additional services and features such as international calling, device insurance, and mobile hotspot services. Access Wireless aims to provide a reliable and affordable communication option for those who may not have the means to access such services otherwise.
3. Easy Wireless
Easy Wireless is a lifeline provider that offers free phones and free plans to eligible individuals who need assistance with obtaining affordable communication services. Lifeline is a government program that was created to ensure that low-income families and individuals have access to basic communication services like phones and the internet.
Easy Wireless offers a variety of free phones to choose from, including smartphones and basic feature phones. These phones come with a range of features such as texting, calling, voicemail, and internet browsing. In addition to the free phone, eligible customers can also receive a free plan that includes talk, text, and data.
The free data, talk and text given by Easy Wireless is limited, but it is a great help for those who cannot afford expensive plans. Easy Wireless is committed to help eligible individuals and households to stay connected with their friends , family and also emergency services.
4. enTouch Wireless
enTouch Wireless is a lifeline benefits provider that offers free government 5g phones and discounted plans to eligible low-income individuals and families. The company was established to help bridge the digital divide and ensure that everyone has access to essential communication services.
Through the Lifeline program, enTouch Wireless provides eligible customers with a free smartphone and a discounted plan that includes talk, text, and data. The company’s plans are designed to meet the basic communication needs of customers while remaining affordable and accessible.
If you’re an eligible low-income individual or family, enTouch Wireless can provide you with the communication services you need to stay connected with your loved ones, access important resources, and participate in social activities. With Entouch Wireless, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have a reliable and affordable phone service.
5. NewPhone Wireless
NewPhone Wireless is a lifeline program provider that offers affordable connectivity options for low-income households. The company provides wireless services with no contracts, credit checks, or activation fees, making it easy for people who are struggling financially to access reliable and affordable wireless services. Through the lifeline program, eligible households can receive discounts on their monthly wireless bills or get a free phone, depending on their state and income level.
The NewPhone Wireless program offers a variety of affordable plans that include unlimited talk and text, as well as data plans that range from 1GB to 5GB per month. Additionally, the company offers a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program, allowing customers to use their existing devices with their NewPhone Wireless service.
6. Cintex Wireless
Cintex Wireless is a mobile service provider that offers Lifeline services to eligible customers in the United States. Lifeline is a federal program that provides affordable phone and internet services to low-income households.
As a Lifeline service provider, Cintex Wireless offers eligible customers a free phone and monthly service plan that includes voice minutes, text messages, and data. The company also offers additional features and services, such as international calling, call waiting, voicemail, and caller ID, for an additional fee.
To be eligible for Lifeline services from Cintex Wireless, customers must meet certain income or program requirements. Customers who participate in government assistance programs such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, are eligible for Lifeline services.
7. Assurance Wireless
Assurance Wireless is a lifeline provider that offers free or low-cost cell phone services to eligible low-income individuals and families in the United States. As a subsidiary of Virgin Mobile, Assurance Wireless is part of the Lifeline Assistance program that was established by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1985.
Assurance Wireless offers a free cell phone with 3GB of data, unlimited texting, and 350 free voice minutes every month. Customers can also purchase additional data and minutes at affordable prices. The company offers nationwide coverage and has a variety of phones to choose from. In addition to its basic plan, Assurance Wireless also offers a $5 per month plan that includes unlimited talk and text. Customers can also choose to add more data or minutes to their plans at affordable prices.
8. AirTalk Wireless
AirTalk Wireless is a lifeline provider that offers free or low-cost phone and internet services to eligible individuals and families. The company operates in several states across the United States, including California, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, and Michigan.
As a lifeline provider, AirTalk Wireless is committed to helping low-income households stay connected to essential services and resources. The company’s mission is to bridge the digital divide and ensure that everyone has access to reliable communication services, regardless of their financial situation.
To qualify for AirTalk Wireless’ lifeline program, individuals must meet certain eligibility criteria, such as participating in certain government assistance programs or having a household income at or below 135% of the federal poverty level. Once approved, customers can receive a free or low-cost smartphone and up to 1,000 minutes of voice calls, unlimited text messages, and a limited amount of data each month.
Some Government Free 5G Phones
Some Government 5 G phones that are available through Government Programs.
- iPhone 13 Pro Max.
- iPhone 13 Mini.
- Samsung Galaxy A 32.
- Samsung Galaxy S 21 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S20.
- TCL Revvl 5G.
- Motorola G Stylus 5 G.
- Apple iPhone12 Mini.
- OnePlus 8.
- LG V60 ThinQ 5G.
- Motorola Edge+
- Sony XPeria 1.
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro.
- Google Pixel 4 A 5G
- Oppo Find X2 Pro.
Alternative Way to Get a 5G Phone if I Fail to Get it From a Government Program
If you are unable to obtain a 5G phone through a government program, there are alternative ways to acquire one.
- Buy a used phone: You can consider purchasing a used 5G phone from a reputable seller at a comparatively low price. But make sure to do your research on the seller and the phone’s condition before making the purchase.
- Upgrade your plan: If you have a mobile phone plan with a carrier, you can check if they offer 5G phone upgrades as part of their plans. Some carriers offer discounted or free 5G phones when you upgrade your plan.
- Participate in trade-in programs: Some retailers and carriers offer trade-in programs where you can trade in your old phone for a discount on a new 5G phone.
- Look for promotions and deals: Keep an eye out for promotions and deals offered by retailers or carriers, which may offer discounts or special offers on 5G phones. You can sign up for newsletters or follow their social media pages to stay updated on the latest deals.
- Consider buying a refurbished phone: If you’re on a budget, you can consider purchasing a refurbished 5G phone. Refurbished phones are phones that have been previously used but have been restored to like-new condition by a professional refurbisher.
- Ask friends or family: You can ask friends or family if they have an old 5G phone they no longer use or need. They may be willing to give or sell it to you at a discounted price.
- Check online marketplaces: You can check online marketplaces such as eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace for used or new 5G phones. However, be cautious of scammers and only buy from reputable sellers with good reviews.
- Consider buying an older model: You can consider buying an older 5G model that may be more affordable. Older models may still offer 5G capabilities and may be more budget-friendly.
- Check with your employer: Some employers offer discounts or special offers on 5G phones as part of their employee benefits package. Check with your employer to see if they offer any such benefits.
- Look for installment plans: Some retailers and carriers offer installment plans for purchasing 5G phones. This allows you to pay off the cost of the phone over several months, making it more affordable.
Remember to choose a 5G phone that meets your needs, fits your budget, and is compatible with your carrier. It’s important to do your research, compare prices, and consider all of your options before making any purchase.
Benefits of 5G Government Phone
A 5G phone comes with several benefits, including:
- Faster internet speeds: One of the biggest benefits of a 5G phone is its ability to access faster internet speeds. With 5G, you can download and upload large files and videos at lightning-fast speeds.
- Reduced latency: 5G technology also reduces latency or lag time, which means that there is less delay when sending and receiving data. This is particularly important for online gaming, video streaming, and other applications that require real-time data transmission.
- Improved network capacity: 5G networks have greater capacity, which means that they can support more devices at once. This is particularly useful in areas with high population density, such as stadiums, airports, and urban areas.
- Increased productivity: Faster internet speeds and reduced latency also mean that you can work more efficiently on your phone. You can download and upload large files quickly, collaborate on projects in real-time, and access cloud-based applications with ease.
- Improved video calling: 5G networks provide high-quality video calling with smoother and clearer images. This is especially important for remote workers and people who rely on video conferencing for business meetings and interviews.
- More efficient use of battery: 5G networks are designed to be more energy-efficient, which means that 5G phones can use less battery power while still accessing high-speed internet.
- Enhanced security: 5G networks are built with more advanced encryption and security features, making them more secure than 4G networks. This is particularly important for people who use their phones for online banking, shopping, and other sensitive activities.
- Faster GPS: 5G technology also improves GPS accuracy and response time, which means that navigation apps can provide faster and more accurate directions.
- Better coverage: While 5G networks are still being deployed, they are expected to provide better coverage in rural areas and other places that are currently underserved by 4G networks.
- Improved emergency services: 5G technology can also improve emergency services, such as ambulance and police response times, by providing real-time data and better connectivity.
- Improved healthcare: 5G technology can also revolutionize the healthcare industry, by enabling remote monitoring and telemedicine services. This can improve patient outcomes and reduce healthcare costs.
Overall, a 5G phone offers a range of benefits that can significantly enhance your mobile experience, from faster internet speeds to improved connectivity and new applications. As 5G networks become more widespread, we can expect to see even more innovative uses for this technology in a wide range of industries.
How Long Does It Take to Get a 5G Government Phones?
It takes 5 to 10 business days to get a 5G government phone.
Can I Use a 4G Phone on a 5G Network?
Yes, you can. But you do not get the 5G speed on 4G. Actually, 5G is an upgradation of 4G. So you can obviously use a 4G Phone on a 5G network.
Are 5G Government Phones available in all states?
Yes. 5G Government Phones are available in all states.
Can I keep my old phone number when getting a 5G Government Phone?
Yes. You can keep your old phone number when getting a 5G government phone.
Can I upgrade to a newer phone model with my 5G Government Phone plan?
Yes. you can upgrade to a newer phone model with your 5G Government phone plan.
Can I use my 5G Government Phone outside of the United States?
Yes. you can use your 5G government phone outside the United states.
Can I switch from one 5G Government Phone plan to another?
Yes. you can switch from one 5G government phone plan to another.
How Many Free Government 5g Phones Can One Family Get?
Only one 5G phone is available for one family or household.