Did you just join CenturyLink and want to know whether the carrier offers low income internet? Look no more because we have the answers for you. Before we answer that, it’s important to mention that CenturyLink is one of the best telecommunication company in the US and has dedicated itself to offer voice phone, TV, Fiber and high speed internet services to its customers across several states. Besides, it is a dedicated ACP service provider that provides low income internet services to all qualified households. Therefore, it’s true to say that CenturyLink offers low income internet to qualified households.
This basically mean that with this carrier, you will enjoy monthly discounts on your internet bill. Typically, the carrier offers a monthly discount of up to $30 and up to $75 for qualified tribal lands. This is as crucial as it helps low income families to also enjoy internet access benefits. Statistically, it has been proved that more than one in every 6 people living in poverty, lack internet access. Since internet access is less common among people living in poverty, this has created a digital divide. Consequently, low income households tend to lack employment opportunities, access to education, and access to healthcare. This has left low income population particularly vulnerable to increased poverty. Luckily, CenturyLink low income internet has greatly helped to breach digital divide. As a result, low income households can now access virtual education, online employment opportunities and connection with ease just like the rich. Continue reading this guide to learn more about CenturyLink low internet access and its benefits.
Way to Get CenturyLink Low-income Internet
As we have stated, CenturyLink offers low income internet to all qualified low income households, but the question is, how? Continue reading this section and the whole article in general to understand more.
As you already know, internet is a crucial object and as stated above, low income households are always left out as far as internet access is concerned. This has created a digital divide but luckily, the government has become a very powerful instrument when it comes to bridging this digital divide. To achieve this, the government has initiated a number of programs that are currently offering free or low cost internet access to households living below federal poverty guideline. One of the most reputable government’s initiative to overcome digital divide among low income households is the Affordable connectivity program.
Commonly referred as ACP, this program offers low income internet access through several committed service providers. As of now, there are several providers that offers ACP benefits but their services varies with states. Among many providers, CenturyLink is on the frontline.
To answer your question therefore, you can get CenturyLink low income internet through the Affordable Connectivity program. As long as you qualify for the program and live within the carrier’s network coverage, you will access low income internet access without hindrance. Read a section below and know how to qualify for this carrier’s low income internet.
Qualify for CenturyLink Low-income Internet
To qualify for CenturyLink low income internet access, you must meet ACP eligibility requirements. To qualify for ACP, you must come from a low income household, whose total income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guideline.
In addition, you are considered eligible for CenturyLink low income internet if you received a federal Pell grant in the current academic year or receives benefits from the free and reduced price school lunch or school breakfast program. In addition, you are considered eligible for CenturyLink low income internet if you participate in any of the following programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs(BIA) General Assistance program
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Federal Public Housing Assistance Program
- Supplemental Security Income
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.
Needed Document to Apply for CenturyLink Low-income Internet
After qualifying for CenturyLink low income internet, you will be required to show proof that you qualify for the program. As a result, you will be asked to provide copies of your eligibility documents. Besides, you should also submit copies of your identity and address documents. Below is an example of all the required documents:
1. Eligibility documents
- Medicaid card.
- Supplemental Security Income verification letter.
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations statement of benefits.
- SNAP approval document.
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits.
- A copy of your current income statement from your employer
- Paycheck stub.
- Your prior year’s federal, state or Tribal tax return.
- Divorce decree.
2. Personal documents
- Birth certificate
- Government-issued state, military or Tribal ID
- Permanent resident card or Green Card
- U.S Driver’s license
3. Address documents
- Utility bill
- Tax or W-2 return
- Lease or mortgage statement
Process to Apply for CenturyLink Low-income Internet
When applying for CenturyLink low income internet, you should first get approval from the national lifeline verifier. That means that you should fill an application form through the ACP official website or through mail. When applying for ACP, always remember to provide the same information that you used on your CenturyLink account. Here’s how to apply for CenturyLink low income internet.
1. Apply online
To apply for CenturyLink low income internet online, follow this step:
- On your browser, open ACP website “affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply”.
- On your homepage, tap on the icon “ apply now”.
- The hyperlink will redirect you to the National Verifier application page.
- Fill your ACP enrollment form by answering all the questions asked. Here, you should provide your legal name, birth date, address and contact details.
- Tick whether you qualify as an independent or through a dependent.
- Attach your eligibility and personal documents discussed above and submit the form
- Get approval from the national verifier and visit CenturyLink to receive your benefits.
2. Apply via mail
Besides the online method, you can also apply for CenturyLink free internet access via mail. To apply, follow the following process:
- Visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf”.
- Download the English version of the ACP application form.
- Print he form and fill it manually
- It’s also important to also download and print a household worksheet through this link: “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf “.
- After filling the forms, attach your personal and eligibility proof documents then mail them to the national verifier and wait for approval. Here’s the address to use:
ACP Support Center.
PO Box 7081
London, KY 40742
3. Apply directly through CenturyLink
Once you get approved by the national verifier, you can now complete your Century link form through their website to receive your low income internet. To fill CenturyLink application form, open this link.
After, fill the form with the required information and hit the submit button. After submitting your form, century link will verify eligibly, verify that you have an active account with them then approve your request. After approval, the carrier will then apply ACP internet discounts to your account.
Reason for Disqualified for CenturyLink Low-income Internet
After applying for CenturyLink low income internet, your application status will either indicate approved or rejected. When rejected, it means that you have been disqualified for these benefits. There are a number of reasons why you can get disqualified for CenturyLink low income internet. Here are these reasons:
1. You don’t qualify
If you don’t meet any of the income or program based ACP requirements, you will be disqualified for CenturyLink low income internet. To rectify this, make sure your income is below 200% of the federal poverty guideline or you participate in any government’s assistance program before reapplying for CenturyLink low income internet.
2. You dint provide valid documents
If your application documents are blurred or invalid, you will be disqualified foe CenturyLink low cost internet. To rectify this, always attach clear and valid application documents.
3. Contradicting information
When filling your enrollment form through the lifeline national verifier, you should provide information that corresponds with the information provided in your CenturyLink account. If these information contradict, you might be disqualified for CeturyLink free internet. It’s therefore important to provide similar information when applying for low cost internet
4. There is another member of your household that is already receiving low income internet
The federal government instructed that ACP benefits should be provided to one household member at a time. Therefore, if there is another member of your household who already receives ACP benefits at the time of application, you will be disqualified. To rectify this, always make sure that no other member of your family receives ACP benefits at the moment of application.
5. You are out of CenturyLink internet coverage
If you reside out of CenturyLink coverage areas, your CenturyLink free internet application will be rejected. Therefore, check their coverage map and ensure you are within their coverage range before applying for these benefits. Let’s disclose the company’s coverage areas in a section below:
CenturyLink Internet Coverage Areas
Although CenturyLink internet services are not available in all regions in the US, they are available across several states. These are states like: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, South Dakota, Wyoming and Washington.
CenturyLink Internet Installation Process
There are two approaches on CenturyLink internet installation process. If you are installing DSL internet, you call use the self-installation approach. However, if you are installing fiber internet, it’s important to consider a professional installation. Here is a well explained procedure on CenturyLink internet self-installation process:
- Step 1: Order self-installation kit after signing up for the carrier’s internet plan. CenturyLink self-installation Kit consists of a modem, black power cord, yellow Ethernet cable, white Ethernet cable and a green DSL cable.
- Step 2: On your wall outlet, plug the power code then connect it to your modem/ (On the back of the modem).
- Step 3: Connect your green DSL cable to your modem’s DSL port plus a working phone jack.
- Step 4: Give your modem up to 15 minutes to boot up until you see a status light blink at the front of your model. After a short while, your modem’s status light, found at the front of your model, will blink sold blue. Your modem’s DSL port will also blink solid green, to show that your modem is successfully connected to centuryLink network.
- Step 5: Now, you can connect any device then enter the name and password as indicated on the back of the modem.
Benefits of CenturyLink Internet for Low-income Households
When you apply and get approved foe CenturyLink low income internet, you will access the following benefits:
- Improved access to education and job Opportunities: After the strike of COVID 19 pandemic, many activities transitioned from physical to online. For example, many school activities were conducted online. With low cost internet therefore, low income households will be able to attend virtual classes, research assignment online and so on. With CenturyLink internet for low income households, you will also be able to access online platforms and journals that offer jobs opportunities, business ideas among other relevant content.
- Health and other benefits through online access to information and resources: With CenturyLink internet for low income households, you will also access healthcare services online. For example, you can research on a certain health condition, its causes, cure and prevention from the internet. You can also book for healthcare appointments online, through your health institution’s official website.
- Enhanced Connectivity and social opportunities through online communication and Community Engagement: With CenturyLink low income internet, you will be able to connect and communicate with your loved ones seamlessly. In addition, you will enhance your social life through accessing social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. This will definitely enhance your social opportunities.
Offers by CenturyLink
- They offer high speed internet service at only $ 9.95 per month: When you enroll for CenturyLink internet for low income households, you are given a monthly discount on your internet plan, of up to $30 and up to $75 as a qualified household on tribal lands. When the carrier apply this discount on an eligible internet plan, you will enjoy high speed internet from as low as $9.95 per month.
- An internet ready netbook computer for only $150: Besides offering monthly discounts on internet services, ACP offers one time discount of $100 on connectivity devices like laptops, computers and tablets. When CenturyLink apply this discount on their netbook computer, you will access some models from as low as $150.
Limitations of CenturyLink Low Income Internet
Although CenturyLink low income internet comes with a myriad of benefits, it also some limitations. Here are the limitations of these services:
- Availability and accessibility issues in certain areas: As we stated earlier, CenturyLink network coverage is not available across all states in the United States. This is a limitation because if you live out of their network coverage areas, you won’t be able to access these services.
- Need more digital literacy and education to fully utilize all the benefits given by CenturyLink: Although internet is a vital tool in today’s world, there is a certain percentage of population that still don’t understand the relevance of internet. This is a limitation because: unless you introduce digital literacy and education sections to orient them to the world of internet, they may not fully utilize the benefits given by CenturyLink ACP.